SPRING COURSE in hautefort, France
SMALL LEATHER GOODS
3day leather course
10-14th of MAY 2018
Create your own beautiful handmade leather items, learn and develop new skills, meet fellow artisans and enjoy a blissful break at a centuries-old manor complex in the rolling French countryside.
- On this 3days leather course students will learn how to make 'cut-edge' small leather goods. Including wallets, billfolds, phone cases, ipad cases, belts, zip purses, passport covers etc. Students will work exclusively with vegetable tanned leathers, and linings such as thin pig skin and suede. Fine linen threads will be provided. Neat hand stitching is essential so we will primaly focus on how to achieve fine stitching accuracy. Course notes will be provided.
The course aims to cover:
- Pattern making, essential step to succesful project
- design and construction including cut edge
- hand paring, and preparing with use of skiving knifes
- working with linings - thin leathers
- hand stitching with use of double needle saddlery technique
- Finishing edges on cut-edged work – options
Leather and lining materials are included in the course fee. However students can bring their own materials if they wish. All Tools are provided for students to use.
- The workshop takes place at the private manor retreat of Fialeix in Dordogne. Fialeix is situated on a hill amid beautiful pastures and ancient oak forests, with a history dating back to before Roman times.
- A private residence run by our friends Kasia and Jason, the complex hosts various artisan courses and retreats and benefits from its own vegetable garden and orchard, as well as more than 35 acres of private pasture and woodland, which students are free to roam. There is also a swimming pool, and less than 10 minutes away is the stunning chateau town of Hautefort with shops and restaurants.
- In addition to the leather workshop itself, your course fee includes individual accommodation, all your meals and snacks, coffees, teas and so on, as well as a daily ration of local wine. Once you arrive at Fialeix, your only task is to get immersed in your leather work and relax in these soul-enrichening environs.
Price: £495 includes:
- The course will take place over three days 10th - 14th of May, 2018. You will learn how to make leather goods using the finest vegetable tanned leathers and traditional hand techniques.
- Group of 5-6 people, everyone receives individual tuition throughout the course
- Accommodation in own room
- All meals, drinks etc. included
- Transfers for flights are the responsibility of individual students – however we will happily give a competitive quote. The nearest airports are in Brive, Limoges or Bergerac. You are welcome to come earlier or stay longer.
- Non refundable deposit of £200 is required on bookings and remaining balance on the day of the workshop.
- For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org